Cavi-Wipe My Life

Things are starting to get a little gross up here. I've been working without appropriately sized gloves for the last...nine days? It's hard to tell, between working nights, and barely getting 24 hours off. I usually take XL gloves, but if I am careful and lucky, I can use large ones. It's somewhat comforting that I'm not doing any wound treatment, but I still have at least three patients who absolutely require me to wear gloves. The facility is running desperately low ona  few things, gloves included. I've taken to  giving myself a quick cleaning at the end of my shift with a cavi-wipe, which kills everything (including TB, which should tell you how hardcore it is). Is this recommended? No. But neither is getting a horrible disease. Two patients have pneumonia, and one has another serious infection.

Nursing always involves making do- you may not have what you need on hand, so you call a doctor for orders. You figure it out- nurses are, after all, frontline medical staff. But, there is only so much I can safely do with the gloves on hand- hopefully, some of the ones on order arrive soon.

I'm looking forwards to getting more than 24 hours off. I'm supposed to get two days off, two days on, three days on, three days off, two days on (moving to days), and three nights in a row before flying out on the 30th. I'll be glad to have a nice beer on a patio back in Ottawa, but I'll happily settle for a full ten hours of sleep without interruption.

Tuesday, I'll hopefully get a chance to edit these posts, add photos, that sort of thing.Really pad it out for everyone's enjoyment, make it presentable.

Lately, on these endless, dark Arctic nights, I've been enjoying my usual podcasts- as well as a new one, The Winter Vault. That's something I've noticed as well- even in Ottawa, I could see a few stars. Up here? Nothing. No northern lights, not even a single star. It's...strange. Night is pitch-black, often foggy, lit by streetlamps. Between that, and the roving packs of feral children, it can feel altogether unsettling.

Maybe it's just the podcast.

The Arctic would be an awesome setting for a mystery, thriller or horror book/movie.

Comments