Preparing To Go North, Packing List v0.9

Okay, I know I've been gone for a minute, so I'll speak to that- I've been moving within Ottawa, traveling down to Ohio to go to theme parks, and just enjoying civilization again.

That said, my statement about going up north can be summed up as such:



Anyways, you're not here for my feelings (this time). You're here for a no-bullshit packing list for a short-term (4-8 week) contract. This will be reflective of what I'm bringing to Iqaluit tomorrow. Understand that you will have two bags, at about 50lbs each, as your cargo, you have to get creative. I split mine into 50lbs luggage, 50lbs food (since that will be your major expense up north) in a cooler, plus two overstuffed pieces of carryon.

Clothes:

4x sets of scrubs+undershirts
4x pair of compression socks (if you're a nurse, you just don't have an excuse not to wear these)
3x pairs of hiking socks
2x T-shirt
1x jeans
1xcargo pants
6x underwear
2x hoodie
2x pajama pants + comfy shirts unfit for the public
1x Workout Outfit
Smartwool long undershirt
Long underwear

Now, the logic of this is simple: you're up there to work, and they're going to get their money's worth from your hide. You will spend a lot more time working than you will being social. Many places have a gym, so in your offtime, I recommend hitting that.

Sundry:

1x shears
1x multitool
10x tide pods
Shower flip flops (if in a communal living setting)
Shave kit (toothbrush, razors, deodorant, etc.)
Flashlight (I can't emphasize this one enough- power outages happen, and you need to see without depleting the energy on your main form of communication)
Battery for cellphones/electronics

Tide pods are a good idea, since you SHOULD be doing laundry. The flashlight is non-negotiable; I consider bringing two. Depending on where you're located, brownouts can be frequent.


Outerwear:

Sunglasses
Scarf/buff/shemagh
Windpants/snowpants (NOT OPTIONAL)
Tuque
LEATHER gloves
Ski Goggles
Temperature rated boots

Your greatest adversary is the wind up there. It makes the cold go from cold to absolutely biting. Protect your face and eyes, since people forget to do that like idiots.And if you're wearing scrubs to work, you may as well be naked from the waist down in the wind.


That's my preliminary list of essentials. In my next post, my food!


Comments

  1. So outside you shuffle around in ski goggles ? What about a face shield scarf?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment