A Week in Review

So, tonight was my first time off since I got here- two days and four nights of twelves. I've been thinking about my first week up here in the Arctic. So far, everything is going great- the locals are friendly, the weather is fine, and work is great.

There are a few things, however, that I'm going to plan for next time I come up. Learn from my mistakes if you're planning on coming north, whether to find yourself or a paycheque:

- Wind or snowpants are essential. Sure, you'll remember sunglasses, goggles, gloves, hat...but the wind is ever-present up here. Even wearing heavy pants from Cabela's, the wind went right through them while I was walking around last night. With scrubs, it's even worse.

- Expect to give up booze and soda. Booze is tightly controlled, and the Mounties aren't afraid to slap you with a misdemeanor, a fine, and put you on the next plane out at your expense. As for soda, it's not only crazy expensive (24 cans for 55+ dollars for Pepsi) but it flies off the shelf. As I mentioned, the sea lift arrived today in the hamlet- and for 1300 people, they left 15,000 cases of soda. It'll all be gone by the next lift.

- Tea and coffee are premium items up here- especially the good stuff. I've already greased a few palms with a strong cup of Lebanese coffee. Pack extra.

-In that same vein, cable and internet are wildly inconsistent and often slow or unavailable. Likewise, both are crazy expensive. Streaming, between the expense and the lack of reliable connection, is a non starter. I can only really watch Youtube because I'm up at odd hours. Whatever quantity of digital books, movies and TV you're thinking of bringing up, double it.

-Nothing is open or on time, so get used to the idea now. The food stores are open 10-6, and that's if they open on time. Think Iraqi time- everyone shows up late and knocks off early.

- Expect that, at least once, you will pay an outrageous sum for a salad.Your body wil crave it. Don't balk at the price. Sometimes, you just need a salad, as strange as that sounds coming from me.

That said, I'm still having a great time. I can't recommend it enough right now, but we'll see how I feel at the end of the month.

Comments