Easy Mode

The best way to describe Iqaluit is like any town in the Dakotas by a rez: you have your creature comforts, your social circles, your above average housing...I knew I was going to be in for a much less intense experience than The Hamlet, where there wasn't so much as a coffee shop or restaurant to relax at on days off (when such a thing existed). Here, I am reclining in an upscale coffee shop that wouldn't be out of place in Toronto or Ottawa, enjoying a good cup of coffee. On my previous tour I actually had to ration my coffee, because instant that costs five times more than my good coffee from home was the only alternative. I could live here, I think. 

Of course, it isn't without its tribulations. The Government of Nunavut has been hit with a massive ransomware attack that has shut down every computer system at work. There were lamentations and wailing as we transitioned back to paper systems. No one is sure how long the systems will be down, when people will be paid. Friday will, doubtlessly, be interesting.  

Comments

Post a Comment