The Forbidden Seafood

Today, I had the pleasure of uttering a phrase most people never will have the opportunity to:

"Shit, I think I ate too much narwhal. "

That's right, I ate raw whale blubber. It was delicious, a little strange, and had some rather unexpected effects on my body, but I'm glad I bought it.

Five days left- I'm on a short stick now, and I'm able to reflect a little more despite being worked like a rented mule. The hamlet I'm in is pretty dysfunctional, the more I look at it- I started spotting empty liquor bottles, dried vomit, a little blood. The more I talk to people, I'm coming to the realiztion thaat the housing situation is more dire than most people realize- you often have three or four families in the same house. As you can see in my pictures, they aren't big, either.

Burnout among the southern staff is also endemic. Of the three contract nurses here, we all turned down a 30-day contract extention sprung on us in the last days of our stints here- one woman is flying out Friday, and got asked Tuesday. No bonuses were offered, no consultations- we were told there was a need, a desperate one, and all of us turned it down. L turned it down because she wanted to go back home- she's done with the North for a few months. I turned it down because I have responsibilities back home- like moving into a new flat, and frankly not being equipped for the dropping temperatures. Winter is just settling in, and since I've gotten here it's gotten at least a degree colder every few days.

So far, it's looking like I managed a whole four days off since I landed. Maybe five. The pay should be pretty good, let me pick of a few courses before I head off to Ohio to hit some roller coasters with my wife and good buddy, get some well-earned R&R in before my next tour. I'm not sure if I'll be coming back to this specific hamlet, but I'll definitely be back to the North.

Comments