On Domestic Violence, and Alita: Battle Angel Spoilers

Well, had another brush with the scourge of the North- domestic violence. Alcohol, childhood trauma, and endemic misery all boiled over, and now there's a whack of people at the health center. It's sad to see, but I can't get involved, can't really help. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended in murder or suicide. To get my mind off of it, I'm going to complain about a major plot point of an otherwise acceptable film aimed at teens.

Spoilers ahead. Fairly warned be ye, says I.

Early in the film, it's revealed that the male love interest is what could be called a 'harvester' or 'organlegger'. He tries to defend his dayjob to Alita, who is a full-body cyborg. Here is the rough jist of what he says:

"I don't kill anyone, I'm not a monster! I just steal their arms and legs...oh wait.That doesn't make it better."

No, you dumb turd, it doesn't. It's established early on that the city you live in is borderline-lawless, with only some super sketchy bounty hunters to enforce a bare minimum of laws. If you leave some dude on the street defenceless from being tasered or having all his limbs stolen, odds are someone would strip him for the rest. That's like saying 'I didn't kill him, the bullets and the fall did'.

He seems to understand eventually, but it mars an otherwise pretty awesome film.

Comments