A Children of The Corn Experience



I couldn't sleep last night, and after about an hour of rolling back and forth, I decided to take a walk. The streets are lit at night, but it's still a little eerie. The cloud cover is constant, so there's no stars, no northern lights. It was about nine thirty pm local, but as I walked, I didn't see a single adult. I did see packs of kids, most of them twelve or younger, many smoking and staring at me as I walked. Some perched on oil tanks, or roared past on an ATV.



The only way it could have been more unsettling there in the dark would have been rows of corn in the background.

After about half an hour, an air-raid siren sounded in the distance. I decided to call it a night, and asked my coworkers this morning what it was.

"It's supposed to tell the kids to go home," my boss told me. "They ignore it."

Bizarre. Work is good- simple enough, the same stuff I did for considerably more people back home. Everything moves a little slower here. I like the other nurses, the patients, and the support staff. It's been only a day, and they're doing their best to make me feel not only welcome but at home. I've taken to listening to podcasts in my free time- I'm trying to save my movies and TV for at least a week. Still, we're off to a good start.


Comments