On Diet

Finally, I've got a pair of days off to myself. I spent most of yesterday sleeping and eating, getting ready for another week at work.

I've noticed that the local eat terribly. Even the other nurses eat pretty terrible- one of my friends was caught eating 'Noodle Time' brand ramen- which is so off brand I've never even heard of it. There's a lot of costly Hungry Man meals (twelve dollars apiece), Pizza Pockets and other garbage being eaten. The other nurses look longingly at my simple curry or chilli dishes, and tomorow after work I have been shanghaied to cook some char for a pair of them.

Lack of food diversity and sky-high prices are going to be your enemy once you come north. Bring a cooler full of food- meats and frozen veg are highly recommended, as are frozen fruits, to make smoothies. The meat up here is also pretty low quality- we're talking sub-Costco levels. It's a bit of a hassle to prep food before you come up, but it's been some of the best advice I've gotten before coming up here.

Right now, I'm making beef broth for a stew that will be slow-cooked all day while I sleep. I made short ribs yesterday that fell off the bone, and it seemed ass-backwards to toss the bones out and buy nine-dollar boullion. The slow cooker here has proved to be a real saving grace to be honest. after I get back, I'll make a preliminary packing list for coolers and a basic guide to your first day in the North.

Comments